Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Best Of Fashion Bloggers- Stripes and Sequins

This is week three of my Best of Fashion Bloggers Series. So far we've met West Coast fashionista Just Add Glam and my hometown fashion hero Style and Pepper. This week I bring you a do it yourself-er with an eye for style. Meet DIY darling Grace Atwood of Stripes and Sequins! Thanks for stopping by Grace!
                                                        So, tell us about yourself!

I grew up on Cape Cod, MA.  I went to college in Boston, MA at Bentley.  After working various jobs in marketing in the beauty industry, I made the leap to social media last Spring - I'm presently the Director of Social Media at BaubleBar.com

Where do you find inspiration for your blog? Everywhere - people watching, street style, runway footage, Pinterest... other blogs... the sky is the limit, I'm always inspired!

What inspires you in the way you dress? 
All of the above, but also the J.Crew catalog.

Do you have any style icons?   
Olivia Palermo, certainly.  Others include...  Ally McGraw, Bridgette Bardot, Jenna Lyons, Joanna Hillman, Grace Kelly... there are so many of them and I'm all over the board!

What trend are you looking forward to most this season?  
More bright denim, loads of mint green, pops of neon and bold statement necklaces worn as collars.

Where are your favorite places to shop?
Zara, J.Crew, ShopBop

Do you shop often to keep up with trends?  
Yes, but I focus most on buying classic pieces that I'll wear for years.  I'll allow myself to buy a few trendy pieces every season... and invest the rest in classics and quality basics.

Do you have any tips on prioritizing purchases or staying stylish on a budget? 
 Keep a running list of everything you really want, and only allow yourself to buy things on that list.  Build a wardrobe of basics from J.Crew, trendy pieces + accessories from H&M or Zara (or DIY projects!), and save the rest of your budget for designer items.  Focus on cost per wear.  A Chanel bag or a pair of $700 YSL Tributes is of course, incredibly costly, but if you take good care of them, they'll last forever.


Do you have an all-time favorite purchase? 
  My YSL Tributes - I adore them and they are so comfortable compared to other heels!

Do you have any favorite blogs besides yours?   
Oh yes.. there are so many!  Despite a recent clean-up, I still have over 200 blogs in my google reader.  Just a few off the top of my head - Honestly WTF, Cheetah is theNew Black, court + hudson, Cupcakes & Cashmere, Miss Moss, Park & Cube, Atlantic-Pacific, and Style & Pepper.  

What is your favorite part about being a fashion blogger?  
The incredible friends I've made.

 Do you have any fashion secrets you can share with our readers? 
Only buy clothing that you really love.  And buy clothing that fits you well - if it doesn't, take it to a tailor.  Lastly, accessorize!  Great accessories can take an outfit from just okay to spectacular.

For beginner bloggers like me, what are some tips for setting yourself apart from other bloggers? 
Be different, and stay true to your own voice.  Try to create as much original content as possible.  Invest in a great camera and basic photo editing software - and never stop learning!  Spend time learning how to make the blog the best you can be.  You could have amazing content, but if it isn't easy on the eyes, no one will read your blog.

What is one interesting, quirky fact about you that readers don’t know? 
Whenever I go on a nice vacation, I steal the slippers!  Right now, I have 6 pairs of hotel slippers from fancy hotels that I've stayed at.  It's silly, but putting the slippers on is a little way to keep the feeling of being on vacation alive.

4 comments:

danielledee1123 said...

Aww Love Grace, her blog, your blog and Baublebar!! Xoxo

alyson -- tagg said...

FUn! Absolutely adore Grace and this is such a fun Q&A. Def. learned new things about her and happy to discover your blog, too!

Unknown said...

Thanks Danielle for all the love and support! xoxo

Unknown said...

Alyson, isn't she great? She is so sweet! Thanks for supporting and showing love! Means the world to me!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

  © Modest Wordpress Theme | Lifecycle Stationary Bike by Blogger Templates 2011