Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Best of Fashion Bloggers- Just Add Glam

I must say, I do appreciate a girl with style. I appreciate even more a girl that makes a style her own. This month, on every Tuesday, I will be featuring a series that recognizes the best of the best in fashion blogging. Besides having an eye for fashion trends, these girls are amazing individuals and an inspiration for others. No, I am not writing these bits myself, instead I am letting the blogger tell it from their perspective and allowing them to share their story, life and any little unknown facts.
So whose up? Meet Jennifer. Many of you might know her as the creative mind behind the blog Just Add Glam
                                                          So tell us about yourself.
I grew up in the Bay Area and graduated from the University of California at Davis where I studied Managerial Economics. After graduating from UC Davis, I moved to San Francisco where I currently work in technology consulting. 

What inspired you to create your blog?
My work life is pretty much your typical corporate environment so I am not able to express myself as sartorially as I’d like during the work week.  Not to mention working in a largely male-dominated industry where anything fashion forward raises an eyebrow, I wanted a way to break out of my usual pencil skirt and cardigan uniform (don’t get me wrong, I love a good pencil skirt and cardi…!) and connect with other ladies on one of my biggest loves….fashion!  This inspired me to create my blog Just Add Glam. Blogging has given me the creative outlet I needed to boost my creativity and inspire me. I use my blog now to capture my daily outfit inspirations with my readers!   

What inspires you in the way you dress?
I read lots of magazines including Vogue, Glamour and Marie Claire so I’ve been keeping my eye on what is hitting the runway.  But I also love street style so I love reading other blogs and following bloggers on Instagram and Twitter. It’s a good way to connect with others, learn from what they are doing and get another perspective. Other than that, I get inspiration from people watching around San Francisco. It’s always interesting to see how people dress from city to city and even different countries.

Do you have any style icons?
I’m really loving everything from Tory Burch right now. Her clothes work well together and I love her combination of color and prints.  I wish that she had a home line, her store displays are so fun!

What trend are you looking forward to most this season?
I am obsessed with pastels. My nails have been painted mint green for the majority of this spring and I love the soft colors. Another favorite this season are super stacked high wedges, I’ll do anything for a height boost.  So cute!

Where are your favorite places to shop?
I love to shop! - My business background keeps me realistic and grounded knowing that racking up shopping bills is not fashionable--so I try to be a deal shopper. I love designer brands but I mainly buy when things are on sale. Right now my current favorite places are Zara, Neimen Marcus and Asos. I also like to shop (AKA borrow) from my mom’s or other friend’s closets.

Do you shop often to keep up with trends?
I am always out and about keeping my eye on things. Just because I am out doesn’t mean I am buying something though. I typically purchase something once every two weeks but it varies from time to time.

Do you have any tips on prioritizing purchases or staying stylish on a budget?
One thing I really like are the brands that are good at taking trends from the runway and magazines and are able to recreate the look at a more affordable price. Forever21 is a great example of this; I go there all the time. There great for fashion jewelry, tights, and scarves. But my number one fashion mantra is when all else fails, hit the sale rack!

Do you have an all-time favorite purchase?
A while back I purchased a pair of ridiculous gorgeous Christian Louboutin heels at a Barneys Warehouse sale when they were 80% off! They were two sizes too big, but you just don’t say no to 80% off Christian Louboutin, right? I took them to a cobbler and had them fixed up to fit me perfectly. They are definitely one of my all time fashion scores!

Do you have any favorite blogs besides yours?
I check out many different blogs but some of my current favorites are MPress, 9to5 Chic, Saucy Glossie, and 5 inch and up.

What is your favorite part about being a fashion blogger?
It has been fun to blog because it has been a wonderful creative way to step outside of my daily work life. But my favorite part is being able to network with others and expand my fashion family. It has made me think about who I am as a person and helped me stay true to what I am passionate about. 

Do you have any fashion secrets you can share with our readers?
One of my shopping techniques is that I do not necessarily try things on in the store dressing room. Shopping in downtown San Francisco can be crazy with crowds, so I like to get in and out and avoid the long dressing room lines. If I’m unsure about a piece of clothing and whether or not I want to invest in it, I bring it home and try it on with a lot of other pieces that I already have in my closet.  I may have a few returns if something doesn’t work out but its helped my closet become more transitional. 

For beginner bloggers like me, what are some tips for setting yourself apart from other bloggers?
My number one piece of advice is to stay motivated and inspired. The moment blogging stops being fun you need to regroup, become re-inspired and remembered what you loved about it in the first place. One of the things that have been most rewarding for me is the networking opportunities I have had with other bloggers. 

What is one interesting, quirky fact about you that readers don’t know?
One thing about me is that people may not know is that I am the world’s biggest Instagram nerd. Any downtime I have—in a taxi, waiting in line at the grocery store, between commercial breaks—I’m on Instagram checking out everyone’s awesome pictures. I need to learn to cool it with the ‘likes’ though.  I probably ‘like’ 95% of the photos I scroll through, haha! When I am not working or blogging I spend my time with my friends and family, going to restaurants, seeing movies, gym-ing, and taking in the spectacular views of San Francisco

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

  © Modest Wordpress Theme | Lifecycle Stationary Bike by Blogger Templates 2011